The year is coming to an end, and you can get 2022 off to a great start. The beginning of a New Year is the perfect time to think about setting personal and professional goals for yourself. Below you can find some suggestions for professional drivers to help get you started!
This is a very common New Year’s resolution because it is a good one. Eating healthier can be challenging as professional driver, but it is doable. Here are some tips to help you eat healthier.
- You can meal prep and pre-make snacks for while you are over the road
- Don’t skip breakfast
- Pack protein bars for a snack
- Stay away from refined sugars
- Drink more water
Get Better Sleep:
Sleep is a big contributor to both your physical and mental health. Sleep deprivation is a big safety issue for drivers. The lack of sleep can result in impaired reaction time, judgment, and vision. It can also cause you to have problems with information processing and short-term memory along with decreased performance, increased aggression, increased appetite, and weakened immune system. There are some things you can do to optimize your sleep schedule.
- Keep the light out of your cab
- Reduce the noise
- Keep off your phone before bed
- Keep your sleeping area at a comfortable temperature
You can read more about how to get better sleep in your truck here.
Due to the nature of a professional driver’s job, drivers work long days and spend a majority of their day sitting in their truck. Exercising on a regular basis can be difficult, but it is not impossible to do. Here is a list of exercises you can do while on the road:
- Push ups
- Triceps dips
- Mountain climbers
- Jumping jacks
- Forward stretch
- Overhead stretch
For more information on how you can exercise while on the road you can read our blog on exercising on the road here.
Whether you like fiction or nonfiction, reading more can do good for you! Studies have shown that reading can help expand your vocabulary, improve memory, help you focus and relax, reduce depression symptoms, and it could possibly lower the chances of developing Alzheimer’s! You can pick up a couple of books from the library or download books on a tablet or reading device.
Learning how to manage your money is an important aspect of being a professional driver. While it can be difficult to save money while driving over-the-road, it is possible to do. Here are some tips on how you can save money and develop a strategy to maximize your income!
- Budget – Keep track of how you are spending your money.
- Plan and be prepared – Planning and being prepared can help you stop buying things at truck stops and stores.
- Use loyalty programs – If you do frequent business with certain stores or food establishments, check and see if they have a loyalty program you can join.
- CDL discounts – a lot of business offer special discounts for professional drivers, see if where you are at offers a discount!
You can read more about these tips by reading our Tips For Saving Money While Driving OTR blog here.